Thrupp and Maberly body, design B1075/E, 4-door convertible
In 1931, Rolls-Royce acquired Bentley Motors, promising to continue to build Bentley vehicles. For two years they strove to design a sports car that would appeal to customers. The result was the first "Derby" Bentley, a 3 ½ liter with a chassis derived from the Rolls-Royce 20/25, but with a more powerful motor. In 1936 the engine was increased to 4 ¼ litres and the result is one of the most desirable cars of all time, popularly called "The silent sports car". Over time its fame has increased and the "Derby-Bentley" are considered the best pre-war vehicles for their optimum bodywork, stability and power.
The 4 ¼ has good acceleration and a top speed of 160 km/h. These features made it the ideal pre-war car for long journeys. The first owner of this car was His Royal Highness the Maharaja of Cooch Behar. The chassis was entrusted to Thrupp and Maberly - coachbuilders to the Royal Family - to build a bodywork in "Phaeton all-weather" style. In other words, a 4-door convertible body with moveable side windows to use in case of rain. Only three vehicles were built with this coachwork, and this one has some special features that make it unique. It was intended to be used in parades in the Cooch-Behar kingdom in the northeast of India. A common feature of this design is that the 4 doors were hung from a central pillar "B" and the hood when folded is above the height of the doors, offering good protection to the occupants of the rear seats.
The chassis, nº B192JD, is completely original and maintains all its original mechanical parts (Motor nº8BU), having had only 4 owners. The combination of the dark blue body and hood, seats upholstered in grey leather and walnut finishes, make it an extremely attractive vehicle, winner of numerous elegance competitions and rallies. Its body, made of aluminium, is very light. The original tools, books and maintenance records have been preserved.